|This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (March 2010)|
Ovoferrin was a tonic originally produced in the United States by A.C. Barnes Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and later by Zonite Products Corporation, which acquired A.C. Barnes Company in 1929. The product grossed approximately $400,000 annually in 1929. Both Ovoferrin and Argyrol continued to be exclusively manufactured by A.C. Barnes Company, which became a subsidiary of Zonite Products Corporation. On January 2, 1946 Ovoferrin and Argyrol were assigned to Erwin, Wassey & Company, a New York based advertising agency.
Ovoferrin's manufacturer described its makeup as being neutral in reaction. A tablespoon was stated to be equivalent to a single grain of elementary iron. When potassium ferrocyanide is added to Ovorferrin no change is observed. However the addition of hydrochloric acid to Ovoferrin produces a well-known color and precipitate of Prussian blue. This indicates that hydrochloric acid changes Ovoferrin, producing an inorganic iron.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Inquiring Investor, Wall Street Journal, November 29, 1930, pg. 11.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Zonite Capital Plan Approved, Wall Street Journal, July 12, 1929, pg. 9.
- ↑ Advertising News and Notes, New York Times, October 10, 1945, pg. 25.
- ↑ American Druggist and Pharmaceutical Record, American Druggist Publishing Company, 1904, pg. 171.