Metanx is a prescription medication made by Pamlab that contains L-methylfolate, methylcobalamin and pyridoxal 5'-phosphate. It is indicated for the treatment of endothelial dysfunction and hyperhomocysteinemia. In particular it has been shown to be an effective treatment for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and lower extremity ulcerations such as diabetic foot ulcers.
Metanx contains the following active ingredients (per tablet):
- L-methylfolate (Metafolin): 2.8 mg
- Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate: 25 mg
- Methylcobalamin: 2 mg
- ↑ Vascular Disease Management 2005;2 (Suppl 6):1S-9S.
- ↑ Yaqub, Basim A, et al. Effects of methylcobalamin on diabetic neuropathy. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 1992;94:105-111.
- ↑ Boykin JV, Baylis C. Homocysteine--A Stealth Mediator of Impaired Wound Healing: A Preliminary Study. Wounds 2006;18(4):101-116.